Chores for my Ransom Box!

*Example of a ransom toy box*

I never in my wildest dreams would have thought that you all would have taken off with this Ransom Toy Box idea! I am now going to share with you some age appropriate chores I would have my girls do! Now remember Alexis is age 5 and Allyson is age 2. A good idea if you have multiple children like I do would be to let the kids pick their favorite color of paper, and print their chores off that paper so the kids know which chores are theirs!

Alexis’ Chores:

1) Clean her room, make sure you show the child what you expect from a clean room. Knowing mine she would go in and stuff things every where and call it a day. This is why you need to show them how it is suppose to look.

2) Make her bed, I do not know about you all, but I am not very strict on making her make her bed every day so this is a good one for my house.

3) Vacuuming: Alexis loves to help vacuum so if I could get her to vacuum two rooms that would be a great help for mommy and a good way to earn a toy back!

4) Sort, Fold, and put Laundry away.  I started her around age 3 with sorting laundry just to help her learn colors and things that are alike. I occasionally now make her put her laundry away but not often because she just stuff’s it every where so in doing this chore make sure you show them what you expect out of folding and putting away the laundry.

5) Take care of her dog, she already feeds her and makes sure she has water, but to earn a toy back she would need to give her a bath and brush her.

6) Dust/ and Wipe down surfaces, she has been helping me dust for a few years now so this would be another great age appropriate chore!

7) Clear the dinner table, that explains it self, make them clean up everyone’s plate from dinner

8) Rinse off the dishes and place them in the dishwasher

Allyson’s Chores:

1) Wipe down the outside of my cabinets, spray a little non toxic cleaner on a rag and give it to them to wipe down the cabinets

2) Clean the outside of my fridge, same idea as above spray a little non toxic cleaner on the rag then give it to them to clean with

3) Pick up stuff to put in the garbage!

4) Pick up her clothes to put in the dirty clothes basket

5) Put her sippy cups she may have out or bowls from snacks in the sink

6) Put her books away

7) Put clothes away like her socks, under wear, pajamas etc she knows where things like that belong in her drawers.

8) Help pick up her room, since her sister and her share a room I would make them do this chore together! Again show them what you expect when you say clean room.

I feel both sets of chores for the girls are reasonable and not asking anything out of the normal. I can not tell you how tired I am of having to pick up toys before bed time with them, so using this ransom toy box idea will be a good start of enforcing an important rule in my house.

The poem is from Just another day in paradise!

If you can think of any other chores to add to this list, please comment below. I would love to hear them!

Comments

1. Deanna says:

Thanks for the inspiration. My daughter is 13 but I think it isn’t too late to implement this.
    Here’s a few more…
    Setting the table for dinner
    Water the plants/flowers
    Weed the garden
    Shake out the throw rugs

2. Paulette says:

I have them empty and replace the garbage bags in the pails around the house, bedrooms and bathrooms

3. Clean the litterbox! the chore I hate doing the most. Wiping down the bathroom (toilet, bathtub, sink).
    Sanitizing the door knob and light switches.

Oh, and lately I have just been picking up the toys and throwing them in a box in the garage. Kids don’t miss 90% of the missing toys.

4. My kids are a little older than your’s. I would prefer to put chores in there that I would normally do (wiping down cabinets, dusting, etc.) so that I could tell them I had to pick up something of their’s, they need to do something for me to earn it back. They already have the regular chores of room cleaning, setting and clearing the table, pet care and so on.

5. Shannon says:

I love this idea!!!!! I only wish I had known about this years ago when they were first learning to pick up their toys, but it will work now. I am always looking for little tricks that work for kids. Esp. something for when they are not listening to us parents or talking back. My son has told me “When are you going to get it, I just don’t care if you ground me.” Which for us is no hanging with friends, no tv/video or other electronics for the day at a time or longer if needed. I just keep reminding myself I (we) created them on purpose, LOL. I love both of my boys dearly though, but sometimes…..

6. LisaSWolves says:

These are all great ideas. Thank you so much and cool thing is your kids are about the same age as my two boys, one just turned 2 years old and the other is 4 1/2 years old. :D Thank you much. :D

7. Jessica Messinger says:

What a great idea! I have 3 teenagers (but one is away) and a toddler. The toddler helps to pick up things more than the teenagers! I have to say though that a lot of the stuff in the tote would be mine – at least according to my husband.

8. Jennifer says:

Just wondering what you’ll do if they ever stop leaving things out…….. LOL!

9. Jennifer says:

Do you have a PDF of the sign on the box?

10. Jenni says:

Love this idea!

11. Brenda says:

I AM A SINGLE MOM THE LAST 5 MONTHS AND SOMEDAYS I AM SO TIRED TO PICKUP THE TOYS OR JUST WANT THE LITTLE ONES TO GET TO BED I HAVE A 16YR BOY AND 12YR OLD GIRL AND 10 YRS OLD BOY AND 2YR OLD BOY AND 4YR OLD BOY WITH DISABILITYS I HAVE TO TRY THIS AND MAYBE IT WOULD HELP ME OUT THANKS

12. Robyn Barberi says:

This is great! My daughters are 11 & 12 and I can’t get them to do a thing! We always make a chart, they follow it for a day or two, then they stop. It takes so much out of me to enforce the rules, so I just end up doing them myself. I know, bad mommy, but it’s so hard! I appreciate any and all advice to make them help out! (nothing major, dishes, put away THEIR laundry, clean THEIR shared room, vaccuum, make sure THEIR dog has water, not tangled, etc, stuff like that!) UGH lol

13. Melisa says:

Like another mom said, if the kids want their toys back that I picked up, they need to do one of my chores. My children are 10, 8, 6 and 3 years old. I don’t have the box and the chores on paper, but this is a great idea.
    Some of the chores we do are:
    vacuum stairs
    wipe baseboards
    wipe down doors
    clean switch plates
    wipe door knobs
    clean tile floors with rag (can limit number of tiles if you have a large amount of tile)

We also have things chores previously mentioned.
    pull weeds
    vacuum rug
    empty trash in whole house
    wipe bathroom mirrors
    clean toilets (inside and out)